Mosquitoes are most hazardous during hot summer months. Just like us humans, man's best friend is not immune to mosquito bites either.
Dog owners who understand the risk mosquitoes pose to the health and well-being of their dogs will be pleased to know that they can provide their furry friends with all-round protection simply and cost-effectively.
The mosquito risk
Not many pet owners realise the extent of the risk mosquitoes pose to their dogs. Beyond an annoyance, mosquito bites can cause allergies and infections, as well as transmit serious diseases.
Your dog could suffer an allergic reaction to mosquito bites. Even a single mosquito bite can cause enough itch and irritation to result in excessive scratching or chewing at the skin. Although such an allergy often remains a local skin irritation, it could also, in severe cases, lead to a skin infection.
There have also been reports of dogs that contracted the West Nile virus through mosquito bites, developing fever and becoming lethargic.
West Nile virus can cause a fatal neurological disease in humans. However, approximately 80% of people who are infected will not show any symptoms. West Nile virus is mainly transmitted to people through the bites of infected mosquitoes.
The virus can cause severe disease and death in certain animals.
Protecting your dog
Fortunately for pet owners, protecting dogs against the dangers of mosquitoes is as simple as following these five steps.
- Eliminate any standing water around your home where mosquitoes can breed.
- Keep doors and windows closed to keep mosquitoes out.
- Grow citronella plants around the garden to keep the mosquitoes at bay.
- Avoid walking your dog at dawn or dusk when mosquitoes are most active and steer clear of swamps, lakes and other areas infested with mosquitoes.
- Never use insect repellent on your pets. Speak to your vet about insect-repellent products made for dogs, such as Merial’s new FRONTLINE Tri-Act®, an all-round spot-on solution which not only repels and protects dogs against mosquitoes, but protects against flying insects, ticks and fleas.
About FRONTLINE Tri-Act
FRONTLINE Tri-Act® offers pet owners a safe, convenient, affordable and highly effective option that not only kills fleas, ticks, biting flies and mosquitoes fast but also repels mosquitoes, ticks, biting flies and other flying insects for a full month with a single spot-on application.
In addition to repelling flying insects, including mosquitoes and stable flies, FRONTLINE Tri-Act® is fast and effective, also killing all fleas and infesting ticks in 6 hours. This spot-on is also water-fast and does not wash off, making it a great choice for active outdoor dogs.
FRONTLINE Tri-Act® is a spot-on treatment exclusively for dogs from 8 weeks of age and 2kg body weight. Fast acting, strong and effective, this safe and convenient new solution for dog owners is a fine example of Merial South Africa’s, commitment to remain on the forefront of developing innovative new products for the good health of animals and pet owners.
IMPORTANT NOTE TO PET OWNERS:
- Never use products specifically designed for dogs on cats, or vice versa.
- Never use a human insect repellent on any animal.
- Speak to your vet today about a suitable product for your pet to safely repel insects.
For more information call 0860 MERIAL (0860 637 425) or visit www.petlifesa.co.za