It is time to dust off those walking shoes and to get the pooch in to shape for the annual Woefie Wandel.
R35 gets you :
- an entry in to the day with a fun 4 km walk,
- a doggy wash,
- pet products on sale, and
- live entertainment with Louise Carver, Dalin Oliver and the K9 search and rescue group.
To make sure the day is enjoyed by all a few basic precautions are recommended.
- Make sure your pooch is walking fit – with three weeks to go till the big day it is an ideal time to start with short walks now and build it up to 4 km. Only go for walks during the cooler hours of the day.
- Invest in a well fitted harness and leash that is comfortable and secure. If you buy a new one try it out several times before the event.
- If you share the couch with an older friend and he is overdue for his annual vet check, ask your vet to check out his heart and joints.
- Ensure your dog’s vaccinations are up to date. There is a lot of parvo virus circulating at the moment.
- Only take fully vaccinated puppies (must have had all three vaccines)
- A good flea and tick remedy applied not longer than a month before the event.
- Take water with on the walk and offer it to your dog throughout the day. Invest in a collapsible travel bowl or drinking bottle with bowl.
- Feed your dog at least 2 hours before the event.
- Take a poop bag and pick up after your dog
- Make sure your dog wears identification – you are not supposed to let him off the lead on the day but in case he wanders off.
- If your dog has any medical condition which might be aggravated by excitement or exercise do not risk taking part. Dogs with underlying seizures, heart conditions or fear aggression are not recommended to take part – rather take a quiet stroll alone. If you not sure if your dog is healthy enough for this outing, speak to your vet. If your dog is on heat – please do not attend.
- Lastly, on the day check the weather forecast. It is luckily an early start at 8am. If it is going to be a scorcher (more than 25 degree Celsius) rather stay home with breeds prone to heat stroke (brachycephalic breeds like the bulldog, pugs etc.)
A remember a few hours of fun for R35 will feed a shelter dog for 7 days!
Online entries for Woefie Wandel close at 16h00 on 28 March 2014.
All entrants have to register to take part. Please arrive early on the day (registration opens 07h00) and be sure to bring a copy of your email receipt as proof of payment.
SPCA CT Banking details:
Branch Code: 051001
Acc no: 063 002 167
Acc name: Cape of Good Hope SPCA