Healthy Pets are happy Pets
To keep your dog healthy and happy is not always as easy said than done. Herewith a list of tips helpful in keeping your dog happy and healthy all year around.
- Feed the best quality age appropriate food you can afford.
- Keep your pet at a lean healthy weight. A waistline is important to be visible. As soon as that waistline becomes one with the rest of the body (or bigger), you are more likely to end up with expensive hip dysplasia and other health related aches and pains that could have been avoided.
- Do not wait for fleas to show their presence, flea saliva can trigger skin allergies. Keep your dog tick and flea free with a veterinary recommended product.
- Discuss joint supplements and omega 3 supplements with your vet.
- Daily exercise and environmental enrichment are necessary to keep their minds stimulated.
- Let your vet do a risk assessment to decide on an appropriate vaccine protocol for your dog.
- Visit your vet at least once a year – disease in early stages easily goes undetected by the owner.
- Keep that smile a colgate smile with daily brushing (using a doggie tooth paste / brush). If your dog will not tolerate brushing give him save chews or discuss an oral care diet with your vet. Poor oral hygiene can lead to infections in the rest of the body. Ask your vet if your dog needs a dental scale and polish to improve his oral hygiene.
- If your pet is not sterilised consider getting him/her sterilised asap. Health benefits include prevention of uterine infection in the females and prevention of prostate and testicular disease in the males. Spaying before two years of age will have a protective effect against breast cancer in females.
Image credit : Jo Clarke & Grace the Ridgeback, Atlantic Breeze Guesthouse, Sunset Beach, Cape Town, Cell 0722286388